Coordinator (Development and Compliance)
- Varied role coordinating and assessing development applications within growing regional Council
- Competitive salary package commencing at $90,297 plus superannuation
- Commuter use of a Council Vehicle
- Relocation assistance on offer for the successful candidate, with accommodation assistance offered on a case by case basis
- Great range of additional benefits, including health & wellness packages, salary sacrifice options and a fortnightly RDO with flexible working hours
About the Region
Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from the Mary Valley and Kilkivan/ Goomeri area in the west to Rainbow Beach (our Gateway to Fraser Island) and Tin Can Bay on the coast. Bordering Noosa Shire and the Fraser Coast, we are uniquely positioned to grow, whilst still retaining our country charm. Enjoy the laidback rural lifestyle surrounding our picturesque smaller townships or the history and sense of community in Gympie. Home to country festivals such as the internationally renowned Gympie Country Music Muster, pristine natural areas and spectacular beaches, all within 45 minutes from Noosa and the Sunshine Coast and 1 hr 45 from Brisbane. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique and diverse range of lifestyle choices. This is supported by:
- Liveability (live close to where you work, free parking, and entry-level housing market);
- Easy drive access to Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and Noosa;
- Gateway to the spectacular world-heritage listed Fraser Island, the Fraser Coast region and spectacular beaches; and
- Accessibility to a range of outstanding education opportunities, including University of the Sunshine Coast campus and high quality public and private schools.
- High quality community, sporting and recreational facilities, including the Gympie Aquatic and Recreation Centre, regional level sports parks and extensive recreation trails.
About the Organisation
Gympie Regional Council (GRC) is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. The regional centre of Gympie is central to the Gympie region, two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Gympie Regional Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward-thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
About the Opportunity
GRC now has an exciting opportunity for a Coordinator - Development and Compliance, to join our team on a full-time basis. You would be joining a team that has recently achieved significant applications including:
- New town centre in the township of Curra
- Airpark at the Gympie aerodrome
- 150 megawatt solar farm
Reporting to the Manager - Development and Compliance, you will assist with the coordination and assessment of development applications, including overseeing and coordinating non-compliance matters with regard to Council's Planning Scheme. You will also be required to relieve the Manager - Development and Compliance, as required to cover illness and annual leave.
Your day to day responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Directly overseeing and coordinating the assessment of development applications and providing high-level support, mentoring and guidance to Council's Planning Officers;
- Coordinating and overseeing non-compliance matters pertaining to Council's Planning Scheme;
- Providing technical advice on complex planning matters to internal and external stakeholders; and
- Negotiating and liaising with clients on complex non-compliance matters to achieve positive outcomes for Council.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this role, you will hold tertiary qualifications in Planning or similar that is recognised for corporate membership by the Planning Institute of Australia.
You will have demonstrated experience assessing development applications and extensive knowledge of statutory requirements and best practice relevant to the role. This will include the ability to implement this best practice knowledge to the assessment of development applications and investigation into matters of development non-compliance.
Importantly, as you will be liaising with multiple internal and external stakeholders, you must have strong communication and negotiation skills and the confidence to manage complex planning matters between applicants, State Government and elected representatives.
Please note: You must hold a current, unrestricted Australian Driver's Licence. You will be required to have a medium fitness level in order to complete the duties of this role. Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment screening, including National Police Checks, Medical Assessment, Qualification Checks and Reference Checks.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a highly attractive salary package commencing at $90,297 plus superannuation. Relocation assistance is negotiable for the right candidate and accommodation assistance is also offered on a case-by-case basis.
Furthermore, GRC will offer the successful candidate a range of additional benefits including a fortnightly RDO, working a 9 day fortnight with the availability of flexible work arrangements that also suit business needs.
GRC offers all valued staff considerable opportunities for professional development and education assistance, in addition to extending quality of life benefits such as health, fitness & wellbeing programs and employee assistance to their families.
Applications are closing 11pm Sunday, 17th February. This opportunity won't last long so don't wait - Apply Now.
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process.
Gympie Regional Council is also recruiting for an experienced Coordinator - Sustainability. To learn more, click here.