Leading Hand - Parks and Gardens
Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The town of Gympie is central to the Gympie region, two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. The depot is located centrally in town, easily accessible from all directions. Parking is readily available.
Leading Hand - Parks and Gardens (LGE6)
Remuneration: $1156.38 per week plus applicable allowances and 13 per cent superannuation
Closing Date: Sunday 16 February 2020 11.00pm AEST
This position supports Council’s direction by supervising staff whilst still undertaking a wide range of horticultural, landscape, arboricultural, turf management, plant operation and truck driving tasks as part of a multi-disciplined team that is responsible for the construction and maintenance of Council’s parks, reserves, sporting facilities and urban streetscapes in accordance to Council’s priorities and standards.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
What we are looking for?
Council is seeking a reliable team player, with the ability to also work independently when required to join our parks team. A person who is conscious of standards and who appreciates the responsibility that comes with working in the public eye will do well in this role.
To be successful in the role, you will require:
- Demonstrated ability to supervise parks staff.
- Demonstrated and applied knowledge in contemporary horticultural practices.
- Certificate IIII (or higher) in horticulture, arboriculture, green-keeping or similar or demonstrated relevant experience (Minimum three years’ relevant knowledge and experience in maintenance of parks, reserves, sporting facilities and urban streetscapes).
- Demonstrated experience with mowers (hand and ride-on) as well as other relevant machinery such as brush cutters, weed spraying units, chain saws and pole-saws.
- Demonstrated physical agility and dexterity to carry out labouring and frequent heavy lifting and bending.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain harmony within a team and foster good working relationships with all Council employees and members of the public.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organise complex tasks and maintenance work under general supervision
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
For a full explanation of our values please click here.
For further information regarding this role contact Glen Fensom, Manager Parks Operations on ph: 5481 0881 or email@example.com
Successful applicants will be required to undertake various checks such as skills, qualifications, reference, medical and national police.
How to apply
Keen to apply? Simply follow the instructions below:
1) Download and review the position description above
2) Complete the information below, as requested (please use an individualised email address as using another person's may effect your application, if you do not have one please follow this link to create a Gmail account)
3) Click 'NEXT'
4) Attach your resume, covering letter and a single document containing copies of your qualifications, licences or tickets as applicable.
5) Click 'NEXT' and 'CONFIRM'
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process. Please keep your responses to a maximum 300 words for each question.
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.