Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The CBD of Gympie is the central hub to the Gympie region, which is two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Remuneration: $80,170 per annum plus 13% super
Closing Date: Sunday 1 November 2020 at 11.00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
Council is currently seeking an experienced and enthusiastic professional to join our Financial Services and Risk Branch as a qualified Financial Accountant.
In this exciting opportunity, you will be required to provide high level technical financial accounting and financial systems support and advice to the Coordinator - Financial Accounting and Manager - Finance and Risk in the delivery of timely and accurate financial operations and reports, inclusive of Local Government and Australian Taxation Office reporting obligations.
You will be responsible for duties such as:
- Preparation of statutory reporting relating to annual financial statements, including documentation of supporting papers, liaison with Queensland Audit Office representatives and any other reporting authority in relation to these reporting obligations.
- Researching and preparing technical accounting policy papers for consideration by the Chief Financial Officer on the implications of new and upcoming accounting standards and legislative changes impacting statutory financial reporting.
- Supporting the Coordinator, Financial Accounting in the oversight of daily financial accounting operations and transaction processing including Australian Taxation Office, Fringe Benefit Reporting and other statutory obligations, account reconciliation and integrity of the general ledger.
- Providing high level written and verbal financial advice.
- Undertaking regular analysis and oversight of financial operational performance, and report to the Coordinator, Financial Accounting and Manager - Finance and Risk on the results.
- Planning, managing and implementing business process changes that support the Council operations.
- Contributing to system improvement initiatives within the Finance and Risk Branch and across Council, including improving financial literacy and capacity of staff.
What we are looking for
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications and experience in a financial accounting environment or related discipline.
- Proven ability in financial reporting and financial systems.
- Well-developed financial analytical and interpretive skill.
- Demonstrated proficiency in financial management computer systems, databases and spreadsheet skill.
- Highly developed knowledge of Australian Accounting Standards, Audit Regulations and the Queensland Local Government Legislation.
Although not mandatory for the role, it would be advantageous for you to demonstrate Professional membership accreditation.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
Who to Contact
For information regarding the requirements of this role, please contact Cindy Savage, Coordinator - Financial Accounting on 5481 0610 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For assistance lodging your application using Council's online system, please contact Rowena Chapman, Advisor - Human Resources 5481 0687 or email email@example.com
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
For a full explanation of our values please click here. You will be assessed on your understanding of these values and how you have applied values such as these in your previous employment.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake various checks such as skills, qualifications, reference, medical and national police.
How to apply
Keen to apply? Simply follow the instructions below:
1) Download and review the position description above
2) Complete the information below, as requested (please use an individualised email address as using another person's may effect your application, if you do not have one please follow this link to create a Gmail account)
3) Click 'APPLY'
4) Attach your resume, covering letter and a single document containing copies of your qualifications, licences or tickets as applicable.
5) Click 'NEXT' and 'CONFIRM'
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process. Please keep your responses to a maximum 300 words for each question.
Applications close on Sunday 1 November 2020 at 11.00pm AEST. No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered.