Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The CBD of Gympie is the central hub to the Gympie region, which is two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Remuneration: $86,602 per annum plus 13% super
Closing Date: Sunday 8 November 2020 at 11.00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
Council is currently seeking an experienced and enthusiastic professional to join our Financial Services and Risk Branch as a qualified Asset Accountant.
In this exciting opportunity, you could make a difference by leading and participating in the development and ongoing maintenance of Council's asset accounting framework. Your expertise will be pivotal in supporting contemporary asset management practices, and will provide accurate and timely asset financial information and advice towards organisational objectives.
In this challenging role, you will be responsible for duties such as:
- Ensuring that Council's asset register and asset financial reporting and disclosures are compliant with statutory reporting requirements as stipulated by the Australian Accounting Standards and Local Government Regulation 2012.
- Contribute to Council's end of financial year statutory reporting and supporting reconciliations.
- Maintain Council's financial asset system, and ensure alignment with the GIS mapping system and other third party systems across Council.
- Provide high level, professional accounting advice to staff that facilitates and promotes compliant recognition of assets and informs Council's Asset Management Plans.
- Co-ordinate and collaborate with asset managers and capital projects staff to ensure completed capital project information is captured for the accurate write-on and disposal of assets within Council's financial asset register and general ledger
- Lead policy and procedure development, and ensure timely reviews to ensure compliance of Council's asset accounting processes.
What we are looking for
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Degree qualifications in a relevant discipline, combined with extensive knowledge and experience in an asset financial accounting environment.
- High level analytical and interpretive skill, and proven ability to exercise initiative and judgement.
- High level written communication skill and interpersonal skill to facilitate the ability to confidently influence desirable financial asset outcomes.
- Highly development time management skills to work independently, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Thorough understanding of ISO 55000, and accounting and engineering concepts as they relate to asset management.
- Demonstrated ability with asset management software.
Although not mandatory for the role, post graduate qualifications in a related discipline would be highly regarded, as would membership of either the Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants or Institute of Chartered Accountants.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
Who to Contact
For information regarding the requirements of this role, please contact Deb Hatherell, Manager - Finance & Risk on 5481 0637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For assistance lodging your application using Council's online system, please contact Rowena Chapman, Advisor - Human Resources 5481 0687 or email email@example.com
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
For a full explanation of our values please click here. You will be assessed on your understanding of these values and how you have applied values such as these in your previous employment.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake various checks such as skills, qualifications, reference, medical and national police.
How to apply
Keen to apply? Simply follow the instructions below:
1) Download and review the position description above
2) Complete the information below, as requested (please use an individualised email address as using another person's may effect your application, if you do not have one please follow this link to create a Gmail account)
3) Click 'APPLY'
4) Attach your resume, covering letter and a single document containing copies of your qualifications, licences or tickets as applicable.
5) Click 'NEXT' and 'CONFIRM'
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process. Please keep your responses to a maximum 300 words for each question.
Applications close on Sunday 8 November 2020 at 11.00pm AEST. No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered.