Coordinator Economic Strategy and Advocacy
Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The CBD of Gympie is the central hub to the Gympie region, which is two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Coordinator Economic Strategy and Advocacy
Remuneration: Annual salary commencing from $98,049 plus superannuation
Closing Date: Sunday 9 October 2022 at 11.00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
Local government is at heart, a true community organisation – to make the region the best place it can be for the community.
Our vision for the region is to be the natural choice to live, work and play and to actively serve our community and plan for the future of the region.
To help us achieve this and more, Gympie Regional Council is looking for a creative, innovative team player with a high level of economic development and advocacy experience to join an enthusiastic team on the cusp of greatness!
This is an exciting opportunity to join a progressive team, become a leader of change in a high paced environment, working alongside diverse units to deliver exceptional economic development strategies.
This role operates within the Corporate Services Directorate, reporting directy to Manager Communication, Business and Engagement.
This role is multi facitated and involves the creation and implmentation of a region wide economic development strategy, in line with Council’s corporate plan, as well as advocating for and facilitating the development of proposals and/or solutions for a range of multi-functional and multi-disciplinary issues requiring a high level of cross organisational collaboration.
The successful person will be responsible for tasks such as (but not limited to):
- Develop an economic development strategy in line with Council’s Corporate Plan.
- Research, evaluate and make well-informed recommendations to Council on proposals relating to a broad range of subjects and projects including those of a technical nature.
- Represent Council as a key advocate, engaging with and demonstrating an understanding of the needs of all stakeholders to contribute to the delivery of key organisational imperatives.
- Liaise with Council departments and government agencies to ensure that identified projects are planned, coordinated and implemented in accordance with statutory obligations and Council objectives.
- Lead the tracking and analysis of key policy initiatives and Council’s participation in Government reviews and similar processes.
- Strengthen Gympie Region’s strategic directions by analysing the region’s challenges and opportunities, identifying potential gaps and providing well researched solutions and actions.
- Prepare high quality reports and presentations on the status of advocacy projects for consideration by Council prior to and during Workshops and Ordinary Meetings.
- Lead the engagement and consultation phases of the process, working with GRC’s Communication, Business and Engagement Team to ensure the widest possible feedback from business and the wider community.
- Work closely with State Government Agencies to help build a foundation case for further strategic investigations and interventions in the state interest including identifications of suitable mechanisms e.g. Potential State Development Area or Priority Development Area.
What we are looking for
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a relevant industry based role and/or a tertiary qualification in Commerce, Economics, Urban Planning, Marketing or a related field.
- Self-motivated and innovative in approach with a team-orientated and collaborative project management approach.
- Proven outcomes in investment attraction, industry development and in relevant industry sectors, government channels and/or commercial operations.
- Professional experience in monitoring and analysing key data and information including an experienced understanding of the relationships between economic development, property analysis, urban design, land-use, transport and environmental and social planning.
- Proven ability to develop strategic alliances and partnerships that will support economic development, tourism and investment attraction projects and activities.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to present, influence outcomes, gain commitment and prepare quality reports, briefs and recommendations on highly complex issues for Council and Executive.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
Who to Contact
For information regarding the requirements of this role, please contact Tom Daunt, Acting Manager Communication, Business and Engagement on 5481 0954 or email email@example.com
For assistance lodging your application using Council's online system, please contact Rowena Chapman, Senior Officer Human Resources on 5481 0687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight/ten day fortnight/flexible work hours
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake various checks such as skills, qualifications, reference, medical and national police.
How to apply
Keen to apply? Simply follow the instructions below:
1) Download and review the position description above
2) Complete the information below, as requested (please use an individualised email address as using another person's may effect your application, if you do not have one please follow this link to create a Gmail account)
3) Click 'APPLY'
4) Attach your resume, covering letter and a single document containing copies of your qualifications, licences or tickets as applicable.
5) Click 'NEXT' and 'CONFIRM'
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process. Please keep your responses to a maximum 300 words for each question.
Applications close on Sunday 9 October 2022 at 11.00pm AEST. No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered.